Thursday, 17 April 2014

Fedora 20 and running ASP scripts

A while back I posted about trying (unsuccessfully) to run some ASP scripts on my Fedora (20) box using XSP.

I knew nothing of ASP tech at the time, so I ended up doing a fair bit learning. Turns out ASP has been largely replaced by a newer version of the tech, ASPX. XSP has a half decent go at trying to run the scripts.

I was still getting plenty of issues, so ended up installing a Microsoft IDE on my Windows laptop and doing the work there. I forget what it was called, but I was very glad to have got the project running correctly under ASPX before the trial ran out! It was a nasty to work with when used to the likes of Eclipse and IntelliJ for Java and PHP development.

In brighter news, I've now migrated that project over to PHP so there is no longer a reliance on running a Windows server. Happy days!

Linux, Android, Banshee and file systems

I recently signed up to a new mobile contract, which came with a shiny new Xperia Z1 Android phone. The phone has been greate so far in the couple of months I've had it, but I've just encounted my first real irritation.

Trying to get Banshee to sync music to the SD card in phone is proving tricky. When I run the sync I get bucket loads of errors in the Banshee log:

"Error setting permissions: Function not implemented"

So I figure this must be a filesystem issue and formatted the card into NTFS, where I have had success in the past. Then when I reboot the phone it sees the card format as NTFS and wont let me use it without formatting it back to exFAT.

It seems the phone REALLY wants the SD card to be formatted in exFAT!

Before I got to this point I had to persuade my Fedora 20 system to mount the xperia z1 phone via a USB cable. At first it wouldn't recognise the card, but installing of two packages (fuse-exfat and exfat-utils) seem to sort that.

The system file explorer could copy files back and forth quite happily, so that works. It's just Banshee that's having issues with this exFAT SD card.

I closed Banshee as a bad job while I did some Googling, when I reopened Banshee I discovered the file count shown for the SD card had increased. It seems Banshee had managed to copy my music over despite lots of misleading errors.

So while I don't know how to stop those errors about not being able to set the permissions, it seems Banshee is actually doing what I want.

In case you are wondering, it turns out exFAT is a Microsoft proprietry filesystem they are hawking as the filesystem of choice for larger capacity memory cards.

Friday, 24 January 2014

ASP, XSP, Apache, mod_mono and Fedora 20

It's been a while since I posted here. I've not given up on my project, in fact I'm still very happy with Linux and the Fedora distribution. I've just not been doing anything particularly interesting with it recently.

So why the post? Well I've come into contact with an ASP project I need to make some changes to.

PHP? fine, it runs under Apache.
Java? no problem, I can run that under Tomcat.

So I've landed myself a bit of work on an old website, yay. The site is running on ASP of some sort, boo.

Of course I'm running Fedora with Apache not Windows with IIS.

A bit of reading leads me to all sorts of old pages about XSP and running mod_mono under Apache. I tried getting mod_mono to interpret the asp scripts I've downloaded, but Apache can't find mod_mono plugin.

I really don't care if ASP ends up running under Apache or some other server, in fact in some ways I'd rather use a standalone ASP server. Which is where XSP comes in.

XSP is a small service/server that should enable serving up of ASP scripts as I understand it.

Installed ok with yum. Then when it comes to running it, it seems to be a simple matter of running it in the project directory.

At localhost:8080 I get a 404 page which is clearly being served up by the xsp server, so that appears to be running at least.

When I try to hit one of the scripts (localhost:8080/default.asp), rather than getting anything vaguely like a nice webpage, I get the ASP code as text. So no ASP processing has occurred.

There is no output in the terminal running the server, nor in the /var/log directory.

This one could run for a while I suspect....