Friday 21 March 2008

Gimp, UFRAW and ARW

Lots of strange names, al about cameras and photography this time.

ARW is the file extension given to RAW files from my A100 Sony camera. On windows I was using a free image editor called Gimp and seeing as it came bundled with my Fedora 8 installation it seemed sensible to continue using it on Linux.

I was using a program called UFRaw to read the ARW(RAW) files and import them into gimp, but this wasn't included in the distro so need to retrieve it.

# yum whatprovides ufraw

Produced no results, turns out the freshmeat rpm repository wasn't working, so add enabled=0 to the appropriate file (/etc/yum.repos.d/freshrpms.repo) and try again. This time yum picked up ufraw so it was to be a painless install.

Checked with fedoraforum.org and it seems there would be a couple more packages I needed....

So, one yum install later (as root)...

# yum install ufraw ufraw-common ufraw-gimp

...and now when I double click an ARW file, Gimp attempts to open it succesfully (well, actually the UFraw Gimp plugin opens it, but who cares - it works :) ).

No comments: