Friday 20 March 2009

Banshee 1.4.2 problem with flash drive

Since upgrading to FC10, the Banshee install I have has been refusing to write to my generic USB sticks.

When transferring tracks, using the Banshee interface, to my USB drive I was getting an error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

While I have a reasonable grasp what the error means from a coding perspective, I don't have the time nor the inclination to dig into the source code. Nor would the average non-coder trying to move to Linux have any idea.

Turns out that a fix found here:

http://blog.hyperandy.com/2009/01/20/banshee-141-object-reference-not-set-to-an-instance-of-an-object-error-fix/#comment-4224

Sorted out my problem nicely.

I added output_formats=audio/mp3 to the .is_audio_player file on the USB device and I can now copy my tunes for the car and I'm a happy raver once again :)

Apparently this is something to do with telling Banshe the device supports mp3 format audio and not to bother re-encoding for the device.

No comments: