Sunday 6 December 2015

New machine, new OS, new problems

It's been a while since I posted here. Perhaps because I've lost interest in the idea of blogging about Linux or perhaps because it's because I've not had any interesting issues worth sharing.

Thankfully , it's the latter. Fedora has been mostly good to me recently, now running on 23.

I recently upgraded my hardware to an Intel i5 CPU and a Gigabyte 710X G1 Gaming 7 mainboard. A respectable setup for an home machine that isn't used for gaming. Editing my photos is suddenly so much more relaxing, now the computer has to wait for me and not the other way round!

Back to the topic in hand and the reason for this post.

Video playback. After sorting a bunch of issues with old nVidia drivers polutign the bootup of the machine (meaning I couldn't get to a stable desktop only CLI) I encountered an unexpected issue that seems small but will become incredibly irritating I'm sure.

Anytime I attempt to play a video, whether from a disk or YouTube/Facebook etc the display goes black for a few seconds. When the display comes back the video is playing, but I've missed a few seconds.

This also happens when I try to skip to certain points in videos using the progress bar.

I suspect this is an issue with not having relevant drivers or video codecs or some such, but as I've not been able to find any hints in logs I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment.

No comments: