Saturday 5 April 2008

Finally sorted BBC media player

My Fedora Core 8 was refusing to player the BBC radio feeds as I like to do.

Rather than fighting with the Windows Media format and getting mplayer working as a browser plugin I went for the Realplayer approach. Mostly because I've associated Realplayer with streaming media longer than I have WMA.

So after a little googling for answers I came across a tutorial here...
http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/f8-tips.php#rplayer

Only difference being where the tutorial talks about removing mplayer-plugin files I removed the lib-totem files instead (that was the player Firefox tried to open the media stream in without success).

Didn't work at first, but a quick Firefox restart and I can now play BBC radio live :) Not tried the listen again shows yet, but I can't see it'll be a problem. Unless the BBC use a different format!

No comments: